What is a career coach?
Career coaches are experts in skills such as career planning, resume building, negotiation and interviewing. They are up-to-date with current hiring practices because they’re constantly working to help job seekers. A career coach is your biggest advocate and will hold you accountable in reaching your target goals. They are well-versed in crafting resumes, career planning, motivation techniques and, most importantly, network building. With so much competition in today’s climate, a career coach is essential to gain a competitive edge over other applicants.
What kind of people do you usually work with?
Here are some examples of the people I serve:
- want to make a major career change
- have been unemployed for a long time
- want to expedite the job seeking process
- aren’t happy with their current career
- need help negotiating current salary/benefits
- need an extra push toward pursuing a higher-level job or getting promoted
- have sent out resumes with little success
- need help with writing a resume or nailing an interview
- are a stay at home parent(s) wanting to re-enter the workforce
- need help with the networking process
- are considering leaving their current position
- desire more clarity in their long-term career trajectory
- who desire more stability/balance
- are retirees seeking a side opportunity
- have a disability or other barriers to employment
I also offer coaching sessions for happily employed professionals:
Courses Currently Offered…
- New ways to effectively communicate with your boss
- How to be respected in your department
- How to inspire and motivate your team
- How to resolve conflict in the workplace
- How to communicate with multi-generational departments
Can you give me examples of the kind of results your clients usually see?
The results differ from person to person, but some of the most frequent are:
- Crystallizing the long-term career trajectory and developing measurable steps to execute a plan.
- Finding a new career that blends your personality and strengths with your financial, family needs, and personal aspirations.
- Being promoted into to a role with more responsibility and money.
- Learning the skills needed to succeed in the job market, so that you can teach your friends and family.
- Formulating strategies to effectively communicate to your department and with prospective employers.
When should I hire a career coach?
Coaching sessions are most effective when a candidate is proactive in seeking advice sooner rather than later. It is a mistake to assume a career coach is only beneficial after you’ve submitted dozens of applications and are in desperate need of a job. Preparation is crucial to success when searching for your next opportunity.
If you’re just starting your career and unsure of which path to take, or you’re ready to ascend to the next level, getting an outside perspective from a professional gives a competitive edge.
If you’re thinking about leaving your job, but aren’t sure, you may want to hire a career coach. Don’t hold off until it feels like you dread your job and can’t stand going into the office.
How does the process work?
Together, we will develop and implement an action plan to assist you in attaining your goals. Sessions may involve planning, dialogue, feedback, troubleshooting, mock interviews, or a number of other approaches customized to your situation. At the end of each session, we create homework designed to give you momentum between sessions. Coaching offers structure, support, and accountability to help you achieve your desired outcomes.
I’m on a tight budget but I want to use a career coach. What should I do?
Career coaching is beneficial, even with occasional consultations for those on a tight budget. By applying general tactics that are ascertained through a few sessions, you can establish clarity in your goals and lay out your own road map to make them happen. It’s a big red flag if a career coach asks for a large upfront fee with a minimum time commitment. It’s best to pay by the hour for coaching sessions to prevent being locked into a potentially underwhelming service long-term. In many cases, career coaching services are tax deductible; check with your tax professional.
Click here for more information on my pricing.
Can your clients contact you outside of appointments if they need help?
Yes! I want to provide the best level of service possible to my clients. My goal is to be there for your entire career journey! I am often in frequent communication with my clients outside of appointment times. These instances include responding to questions or troubleshooting scenarios through e-mail, text, and phone calls.
Are Career Coaching fees tax-deductible?
In many cases, career coaching is tax deductible. In the U.S., “educational expenses undertaken to maintain or improve” business and professional skills are deductible (Treas. Reg.1-162-5, Coughlin vs. Commissioner, 203F 2d 307).
Please contact your tax professional for more details.
How do I know if I’m ready to start coaching?
If you believe that you fall into any of the categories listed above, you are likely ready to speak with a career coach. However, if you have any upcoming obligations (a wedding, move, travel, etc.), it may be a good idea to hold off until you can have more time to devote to the process. Feel free to call if you have questions about your certain circumstances or timing.
How long do people usually continue with career coaching?
There are multiple factors that play a role in the amount of time, which can include…
- Goals we wish to accomplish.
- Momentum and new challenges we experience while moving forward.
- Amount of time and energy you are able to devote.
- Temperament and personal processes
How much advance notice do you need to schedule an appointment?
Depending on my calendar, it can take up to one week to schedule an appointment. I always do my best to accommodate special requests. Feel free to call me at 509-944-0494 or send an e-mail if you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment.
When and where can we meet?
I offer flexibility with my clients in regards to scheduling and location. I am available to meet with clients Monday-Sunday from 7:00am-9:00pm PST. I am also open to meeting with clients in 4 different settings: at my home office located in the Otis Orchards, WA area, at any public location, such as a coffee shop, over the internet or phone, such as Skype, and lastly, in the comfort of your own home!
Do you work with people outside of the Spokane area?
Yes! I project that close to 15-20% of my clients will be from outside of the Spokane, WA area. Sessions can be conducted through Skype, telephone, e mail, and much more!
Will my health insurance cover any fees?
Unfortunately, no. While career coaching services aim to improve quality of life, they aren’t considered medically necessary.
Are Career Coaching services confidential?
Absolutely; what happens in our sessions stays in our sessions.
I’m interested in working with you. What’s our first step?
The first step is to read through this FAQ page! If everything on the FAQ page resonates with you, simply call (509) 944-0494 to schedule your complimentary 30 minute consultation. This can be conducted over the phone or in person if you reside in Spokane, WA. To save you time and money, feel free to click here to fill out my intake form so I can better understand your goals and immediately customize my insights prior to your free consultation.
I have a question not answered here… help!
Feel free to call me at (509) 944-0494 or send an email and I will respond promptly! I look forward to speaking with you!